Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Today I learned a few things.....

including the semi-scientific fact that I don't sew very well with my mother. My mother is a very gifted quilted and has been quilting for years - at least half my life. We had a very interesting evening. In my crunch to get a sample done for the shop, I asked my mom to help put the top together. We both have a Bernina - so in my head, it made sense for us to just whip through the piecing. Boy - was I wrong. Our compatibilty in sewing together is the same as our compatibility to bake together. I love to bake - my mother prefers to cook because she hates to follow recipes. I suspect she hates to follow patterns. The blocks were set on point and as we were sewing them together, I kept referring to the diagram on the pattern - but she kept referring to the diagram in her head. I sewed two columns worth of blocks in the time it took for her to complete one.

Now don't get me wrong - I love my mother and I love to spend time with her. However, our styles of sewing are so different - I still have to rely on patterns and am more visual - but because of her years of experience - she has it all in her head. I think she keeps it locked up in there in a super secret laboratory - where only she has the password.

Our night went something like this - Jen "this is what the pattern says" - mom "but thats not how I do this type of piecing" Jen - "I know, but the setting triangles are already cut for me" mom - "but this is a stupid way to do it" - Jen (now yelling) " look at the diagram - see how that triangle is placed" - then I hate myself for yelling at my mother. Even the dog left the room.

Yikes - I am a glutton for punishment and will be back there Friday night. All I know is that a big old bottle (well not old - maybe a bottle circa 2007) of Riesling wine has my name on it when I am done.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

All I can say is WOW.

Becca Quilts said...

I can't sew with my mom either. It's just asking for hurt feelings.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

No yelling at adults! No running in the halls! You know all these things...so....you must do them! No picking your nose in public! Need I go on? Be glad you can spend any time with your Mom!

Jen said...

Maybe we need an all time ban on quilting with mothers. Maybe you should sew here on friday night instead. Or come here thursday night and by friday night you won't have much left to do.

Jen said...

Oh, and I'm starting to think that if mom and I sew together, I just need to stay completely out of her project. If she's going to do something super bizare I just gotta sit back and let it happen and not say a word.

Moneik said...

Enjoy the time you have with your mom and being able to sew together. I so value my mom and the fun we have sewing together, because she lost her mom and I know how much she misses sewing with her. We don't usually sew on the same project, but we do work well together. We teach a class once a month together and it's a give and take on both our parts, but we both really enjoy it. It's funny how my mom and I are so different in our quilting styles. I do more bags and finishing larger quilts and she does more tablerunners, pillows and accessories. We're sewing together tonight at the shop and it's always a hoot.