Sunday, July 19, 2009

Road Trip Weekend....

This past weekend, I went on a road trip with one of my oldest friends and her husband. While he bicycled 150 miles between Mequon and Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin, my other friend Jen S. and I volunteered to help out at rest stops on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday morning was an early alarm - 4:30am and Sunday was slightly later at 6:30am. It was such hard work making gaterade all day and trying not to stare at men in REALLY tight shorts. It was a great weekend to spend with Jen and Mark, who I get to see often but we don't get a chance to hang out together without any children very often at all.

I did call Jen, "Johnny Junior" on the way home - after my dad, who always gets irritated with the directions of the GPS system. Like some of the bike riders this weekend, the GPS system must have been dehydrated as well and started to take a few wrong turns. While we were heading down a rode for the first of 25 miles, the "car" goes off the road on the GPS and starts traveling through fields - while we continue on our same course that we were on. I have decided that Garmin should let you down load a 4X4 off road vehicle and it should literally go up and down as it speeds through the fields.

I have decided I need to give the GPS system a name - it is a Garmin system - so the best I could come up with is Garmin Mirenda and Marvin Garvins (after the Monopoly square). While I am tempted to name it Garmin Slipstream after the Tour de France bike team - I just can't do and am holding out hope that Lance will come through and make up his minute and a half and move up from second place. A girl can hope!!!

So after watching people bike a crap load of miles this weekend - I am inspired to kick up the training for the 5K in September quite a bit. Who knows - next year I may be riding 150 as well.

3 comments:

piecesofpatti said...

Boy, you sure do have a lot of friends named Jen! I am still cheering for Lance! I do however, have a special place in my heart for Hincapie! I know he had quite a disappointment yesterday. Contador is really strong, fast and much younger. It will be interesting to see what happens. Good luck on the training. Maybe I will be riding 150 with you next year....... boy, is that a stretch..........hee-hee!!!!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Glad you had a good weekend...but you are really slacking on your stalking duties. Also, is there some sort of rule in WI, that you must have at least 9 out of 10 friends have the same name as you do? All these Jens! Have a great week!

Jen said...

Dude...150 miles is a long way. 62 was a nightmare. You do know that you can download different cars right? There's also options you can check for off roading. I wonder if one got clicked by accident.

Ummm, your countdown...is counted down. =)